Sunday, April 20, 2008

THE COCOA SWAP/A VISIT FROM 'ROV'

Several weeks ago, I participated in a small 'cocoa swap' organized by my pal Grace, but I never got a parcel from my assigned 'partner,' so day before yesterday, this came in the mail ...

Grace put this together for me... she's one of the most generous bloggers I know! I have here two of her 'signature' dishcloths (or 'hot mats' or potholders), lots of hot chocolate that River and I will enjoy, the cutest little knitted bunny I've ever seen that Gibson will enjoy, and some herbal teas that *I* will enjoy!

I'm sorry my partner didn't come through, but I'm not sorry to get a parcel from Grace, it was lovely.

I keep meaning to blog about our ROV visit, so since I have no knitterly news to report, now's a good time!

Some folks we know brought their ROV by the other day for us to play with.

Remotely operated underwater vehicles (ROVs) are unoccupied 'underwater robots', highly maneuverable and operated by a person aboard a vessel. They are linked to the vessel by an 'umbilical cable' which carries power, video and data signals back and forth between the operator and the vehicle.

That's the technical description, but here's what actually happened... Chris set up his laptop in the cockpit of our little sailboat next to the Wind Walker, and then he lowered ROV into the water.


Those blobs you see on the screen are actually sea anemones growing on what's left of an old steel whaler wreck (from about 80 years or so ago) under our docks. ROV amused us for about an hour touring the wreck!

I don't think I'll be buying this 'toy' anytime soon, though ... apparently they retail for about $20,000!

No comments: