Friday, March 11, 2011

HAVING A TSUNAMI FREE DAY ... THANKS!

Woke up this morning to a tsunami advisory for the west coast of Vancouver Island due to the earthquake in Japan -- but nothing ever hit, as it turns out. Here's a screen grab of the webcam at Chesterman Beach near Tofino about the time authorities thought something might hit:
It is a common misconception that Victoria could get hit by a tsunami, but it ain't so! According to the Provincial Emergency Preparedness Department, although we are on an earthquake fault, we'll never have to worry about a tsunami. There are two reasons for that .... one, if an earthquake epicenter is in the Salish Sea, there isn't enough time or distance to get up a threatening wave before our shores, and two, if it comes in from the Pacific, it'll hit Bellingham, Washington -- a tsunami can't 'turn corners', and as you can see, Victoria is nicely 'tucked in' away from the direct line out to the open Pacific ...
So.... as horrendous as things must be in Japan this morning, life goes on in my little corner of the world! I did see a lovely rainbow from Clover Point early yesterday morning...
I had stopped briefly before heading out to Metchosin for my Thursday Fibre Friends group, which was lovely, as always. The first thing I saw when I walked in was this...
A few members of the group had a little road trip to Treenway Silks on Salt Spring Island last week, and this was some of the spoils!
The spinning imposter (that would be me) finished the 'Fred Socks' I've been test knitting, and Laurie graciously offered to model them for me!
I got back in town in time to meet the train with my sister Julie on it -- she has spent the night en route to Seattle this morning (where she's overnighting before heading to Houston, Texas tomorrow to visit her son Jordon)!

Knit'n'Cafe today. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are tucked away safely. When they put out the alert you were on my mind. Now I'm finally back home, and can read the good news. :-)

Anonymous said...

I like the socks!