Saturday, February 23, 2008

IMPOSSIBLE

This 'Secret of the Stole' that I'm knitting (see sidebar for more info) is now 152 stitches wide, with about a kazillion yarn-overs and knit-2-togethers and slip-slip-knits on each row. I've taken to counting the stitches before I start the row, stitch-marking every 12 stitches or so (basically after every repeat), and then re-counting the stitches again at the end of each row. This makes each and every row very tedious and slow, but very, v-e-r-y accurate.

How is it possible, then, that I discover a row with only 151 stitches in it, after all that? And then I tink it back, only to discover that the row BEFORE that row isn't right, either, so I tink THAT row back, too. Only to discover that THREE rows back I MISSED a yarn-over ... right after the 7th stitch at the beginning of the row. It doesn't seem possible -- and it's happened twice this week. Aaarrgggghhhh..... the joys of lace knitting!

Oh, well, I'll take it along on a little road trip today. We are going up-Island (to the Parksville-Qualicum Beach area, about a 2-hour drive) to deliver my 'beach blanket' to its new home with my sister, and then to Susan and Sri's ...


... to celebrate Michael's soon-to-be birthday with dinner and an evening of euchre (during which the'battle-of-the-sexes' card game generally ends in complete humiliation for us women..d'ya think the guys cheat?)

I'm looking forward to all of it!

3 comments:

Deck Ape said...

I just happened upon your blog. I love the pictures. You live in a very beautiful place... Thanks for sharing.

Grace said...

have a wonderful weekend, and yes lace knitting has added to my collection of grey hairs

Dorothy said...

Oh, I love euchre!