Thursday, March 27, 2008

I WANNA KNIT LIKE THIS ...

... when I grow up.

This woman named Anne just happened to wander in to the building where our Guild was meeting yesterday, and our host assumed she was joining us because she had on the most amazing knitted things. Turns out she lived there, and no, she'd never heard of the Victoria Knitters Guild, but yes, she'd be happy to bring some of her work to show us.

Here's one of the three sweaters she turned up with ten minutes later...


Here's a close-up...

Now, do yourself a favor and click on the above picture to bring up its bigger counterpart, so you can see the detail. I'll wait right here...

Isn't that just, by any definition, beautiful?

My first thought, when I saw these sweaters, was, "Anyone could make these ...!" Followed closely by, "... but no one does!" And why not? Because they'd be a LOT of work ... you'd have to have a good eye for color, which this woman clearly does. But more importantly, I'd think you'd have to gauge swatch in each different yarn, in the stitch pattern, to make sure it would work -- and I know how *I* feel about gauge-swatching!

And this morning, I'm re-thinking my 'anyone could make these' comment ... because not every one, not even every knitter, would have the creative vision in the first place. Sometimes I think I do, but when I look at work like this, I'm not so sure...

But just LOOK at the reward you'd get if you were willing, like Anne, to do the work. I'm SO inspired, and I sure hope she joins our Guild!

1 comment:

Grace said...

gorgeous what a source of inspiration!!!