Thursday, July 10, 2008

COMPUTER CRASH

Well, I am back online, but barely ... I had a major crash, and I'm having to re-install ALL my software. WHAT A PAIN, I wouldn't wish this on anyone!

So I'm all discombobulated, and 'way behind on lots of things ... paid work, for starters. :-) And blog contest entries, and daily event posts, etc. Aaarrgggghhhhh..... not fun.

However, thank goodness I didn't lose any of my personal files/documents, so I *will* be making the draw today at Knit'n'Cafe for my 'Blogiversary' contest winner. I'll be happy just to go there .... it's been a stressful week.

I got to see David Foster's yacht leaving the harbour the other day, though... note the transportation on the stern deck!


And the main highlight of the week was this ... if I love to cruise on my boat, and I love hanging out with knitters, what could be more fun than a knitting cruise? On Wednesday, that's exactly what 10 of us did ... and Wendy even brought her spinning wheel! Here we are getting ready to leave the dock (and thanks, John, for the great pictures!) ...

We followed the MV Coho (Port Angeles ferry) out under beautiful blue skies and sunshine ...

And encountered lots of other traffic...

Including this dude...

But we had a great time cruising out to Albert Head, where we knit, ate our faces off, and enjoyed the scenery...

Then, on the way home, we cruised in to Esquimalt Harbour just for a little scenic tour, and when we came out, it was a whole different picture. The wind had come up to about 25-30 knots, and it was a WILD ride home. Normally, when we see that the wind is picking up, we literally 'batten down the hatch' -- put dishes away, put our plants down on the floor, that sort of thing -- but this time it completely caught us off-guard. So my bookshelf emptied on to the floor, and some dishes that had been on the counter went flying. And to make matters worse, the fog that had been hanging about on the Strait all afternoon got blown in by the wind, and followed us home -- another few minutes and we would have been completely engulfed in it.


Michael and I know what this boat is capable of (MUCH worse than this was!), and we weren't worried, but I think a few of the knitters were. It IS un-nerving to have stuff 'crashing around' when we're cruising, but we were never in any danger. Funny thing was that our guests all assured us they weren't scared, and that they'd had a great time, and that the big wind and waves were just all part of the adventure ... but the mass exodus once we tied back up to the dock took about 3.4 seconds. I wonder if any of them will ever leave the dock with us again? lol

3 comments:

Esther V. said...

It was a wonderful day on your boat, Marilyn..THANKS for such a nice day.
It was a bit scarey for any of us that weren't used to being on the ocean, but... like childbirth...one soon forgets the bad part..and remembers only the good!!!
You and Michael are THE BEST host/hostess..thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, what a great idea, a knitting cruise!
Sorry to hear your computer crashed - I know what trouble that would cause me.

-kate

Grace said...

i would love a cruise, someday I hope!!!!

So how did the contest turn out curious minds need to know!