Saturday, December 24, 2011

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Christmas, to me, has always been magical.

I suppose we celebrate something akin to the 'Christian' version of the holiday, minus the churchy parts. But the magic is in the 'feeling' rather than the theme ... having a heart full of gratitude and peace and love, and being around friends and family who feel the same way is what it's all about, to me. Then add great food, all the lights, the music, and yes, even the 'hustle and bustle' of it all, and the gifts (I listed that item last on purpose), and it's just a really special time for me.

This year, it's even more special because I get to host my family right here for the first time in many years. Hailey's already been here for a week or so, Mischa, River, Gibson and Joe arrived yesterday, Jason and Julie will be here today ... and then 'Galiano' Mike will join us tomorrow, and possibly another old friend, David, from Nanaimo (if his fight with cancer will allow him the energy to travel). Then on the 27th we'll travel to Victoria to have dinner with Jason and Kristin (who is spending the next few days with *her* family), because Joshua is spending Christmas with his mom, but will be down from up-Island for a few days, too.

Yesterday was a flurry of activity decorating the house here on the property -- half of it sits empty, but the 'bottom' half is minimally furnished, so we put up a tree and some lights and added some candles and other Christmasy trinkets, and it's looking pretty festive now! River agrees...
Gibson was playing 'hide-and-seek' so I couldn't get a picture of him!

And even though Christmas can sometimes be stressful with family issues and stuff, it can also be a healing time ... more of that magic I love. I'd like you to meet Clayton ...
Clayton is the 17-year-old son of Michael's younger brother, Paul. Paul and his wife Sandy and Clayton and his big brother Curtis live in Courtenay on Vancouver Island. We've been about a 3.5-hour drive apart for many, many years .... and haven't spoken. I don't need to get into the details, most families have some variation-on-the-theme going on, I'm sure. But a few months ago, Clayton and River connected on Facebook - and Clayton got on a bus several days ago, and came down-Island to spend 'pre-Christmas' time with River. He's been here with us since yesterday .... and what a wonderful young man he is, and now we have a 'bridge' to reconnect with Michael's family. We have no idea what that might look like right now, but it doesn't matter ... some healing has happened here, and that's wonder-full!

I wish you all warmth and love and light and peace and goodness this holiday season ... I have it all, and I couldn't be happier!

1 comment:

N. Maria said...

Merry Christmas to you and Michael!!! ...and, of course, to your family!
I am so happy your feet are 100% back to where they were before getting so hot and I'm super stoked for Michael working so hard to get smoke-free.
Love you both! Maria