Tuesday, August 11, 2009

IN A FOG


... is how we spent our weekend away, both literally and figuratively.

We got out to Albert Head on Saturday by noon -- it was a bit misty, but nice to be at anchor again. We saw the usual wildlife -- eagles, otters and seals -- and this time we also had a visit from a trumpeter swan:


A pair of kingfishers were terribly busy around us this time, too, chattering constantly and flitting about:

And we noticed a couple of these jellyfish this time -- this one was about a foot across:

But on Sunday morning at 7:30 we got a call from Sri ... Susan had been rushed in to emergency surgery on Saturday night with yet another broken blood vessel, on the other side of her brain. So now she has had brain surgery on both sides of her brain, and this time the doctors have told Sri to prepare himself for the fact that there will be some brain damage... they just don't know what functions will be affected, or how severely, yet.

They put her in a forced coma which they were supposed to bring her out of last night... but last night they changed their minds and have decided to wait a few more days. Immediate family only allowed to visit, only one at a time -- and they must not speak to her or touch her in order to not stimulate her brain, apparently. How awful for all of them!

So we wait... and pray. And try to be distracted ...

I finished Susan's prayer shawl. It's thick and cozy and I hope to hug it around her shoulders soon....




I hope I'll have cheerier news soon!

2 comments:

Grace said...

I am so sorry you had more bad news about Susan, My prayers are still coming. I love the shawl you did, it does look just like a hug! Sending a hug to you too while you struggle with all of this!

Beverley J said...

I'm sorry to hear that Susan has had more trouble. I'll keep saying little prayers for her and family and her best friend!! I'm thinking of you too Marilyn, glad you got away for the weekend to rest...