Tuesday, November 6, 2012

FictionKNITstas!



In early October, I spotted this invitation in one of my groups on Ravelry:

“I run a Canadian book tour called FICTIONistas, which gathers authors from independent publishers on a national tour across Canada. Established in 2006, the FICTIONista tour annually showcases the best of Canadian women writers; all the books are novels or short story collections by Canadian women writers, published either this Fall (2012) or due in Spring 2013.

We know knitting and books go together (hands up anyone who has employed weighty objects/ elastic bands to hold books open to knit and read at the same time). So we are very proud to announce the theme for the 2013 tour: FictionKNITstas!

I’m looking for knitters who’d like to get involved by creating a garment for an author to model during the tour (it’s in May 2013). The garment would be related to the author’s book - a theme or character that jumped out, a setting, the colour of the cover(!). The knitter may use an existing pattern that works, or be inspired to create a new pattern. The publishers supply the yarn, and you get books and publicity for your work (and you keep the garment after the tour).

Can you dress a FICTIONista?

Each knitter will be assigned his/her own author and will receive a copy of the book to read. You will send us your chosen pattern and yarn choice and a cost estimate for these supplies. You and the author will connect via email to discuss ideas and measurements, and you’ll knit the garment. We’ll supply and send you the yarn. And you keep your garment after the tour.

I’m really looking forward to the tour and linking up books and knitting, the two things I love! All the authors have a great time being part of the tour and I hope the knitters will feel the same way. 


If you think you could be one of those knitters, we want to hear from you ..."

As you might imagine, it took me about 1.4 minutes to send off my application for this exciting project, and I found out yesterday that I've been chosen as one of the knitters!! 'My' author, coincidentally, lives here on Salt Spring, although I haven't met her yet. Her book launch is later this month and I'll be attending .... I can't tell you how excited I am to be a part of this fun and unique project, and I'll keep you posted as it progresses!

1 comment:

Hailey Guille said...

Hey Ma,
That is SO exciting! What a neat project for you - combining two of your passions: knitting and writing!
Can't wait to hear about the collaboration with the author and what you come up with!
xoxo's, h.