Thursday, February 10, 2011

SEE THE SEA LEAVE LEAVE

I've been talking about Mike's boat, the Sea Leave, since he acquired it in October -- and yesterday, finally, it left our marina bound for his home in Whaler Bay on Galiano Island. It was a flat calm and sunny day, so just Mike and my Michael went -- it's a 7-hour trip, all being well.

I pushed them off at 9:30 a.m. . .
Then I drove along the waterfront to watch them leave the harbour ...
Penny joined me at Clover Point for this adventure, and we drove to Trafalgar look-out and then along Dallas Road to watch them go through Enterprise Channel...
Then, when we were waiting at 10-Mile-Point for them to come out of Baynes Channel, I got distracted by SEVEN otters playing in the water below me....
They finally emerged from the channel, and took one final pass in front of us before heading off into the distance in Haro Strait..
We drove out to Sidney hoping we'd see them at the top of Haro Strait, but they were long gone, so we treated ourselves to lunch and came home. At 4:30 almost-on-the-dot Mike called to say that they were safely tied up in Whaler Bay -- even Active Pass gave them no trouble, and it was just a beautiful day!

I'm so happy for Mike -- he's 77 years old, and this boat is twice the size of the one he's been living on for the last 4 years. He'll be much more comfortable on the Sea Leave -- and he told me yesterday, he'll probably change the old girl's name to 'Just Right.' :-)

No comments: