Tuesday, February 24, 2009

'WHEN I AM AN OLD LADY..."

I have a story to tell you, but first I have a story to tell you.

Yesterday, "A-Channel," our local TV station, came and did their "A" Morning show all about the store! I didn't get there until about 7:30 a.m. or so, and they were in full swing by then. Here's the two fellows interviewing and filming Stephanie spinning:

They also followed Mahsheed, our felting instructor, while she finished a wet-felting project from beginning to end; interviewed Ryan about his rope-making techniques; and 'panned' us gals in the corner drop-spindling and knitting. It was very cool!

But the story I have to tell you is this.

When Michael and I first met, 31+ years ago, we had a date one night but I'd gotten a bad cold so I cancelled. That evening there was a knock on my door, and there was Michael ... with a lovely potted plant for me. Now, at the time I had no use for potted plants -- they just seemed like a lot of bother. But there at my door was this sweet man with a gift for me .... should I be honest and tell him I don't really like plants? Or should I be grateful for the gift, thank him sincerely ... and learn to like plants?

Well, you can guess...


Now stay with me here. Last fall, I blogged about how much I love crocs. A few days later, a bag appeared on my front porch -- with a brand new pair of bright red crocs in them.

I've never worn red in my life. And I never imagined that I ever would. But these crocs were a gift, and as I found out later in the week, a gift from someone I would never have expected to give me a gift. And as I was looking at them, I thought of that poem, "When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple..."

I have no trouble wearing purple. But red? So at that very moment I decided that I would be grateful for the gift, thank the giver sincerely -- and learn to love red.

I'm not yet an old lady ... but wearing red shoes, with wild red socks, seems like a huge stretch for me -- like something only a crazy old lady who doesn't care what people think of her would do -- so it's been a challenge just thinking about it!

But today is the day I've chosen to publicly honor the gift ...

I'm stepping out! :)

4 comments:

Grace said...

i adore red shoes, I have had many pair of red sneakers in my day but currently have none, poor poor me, off to Zappos to stimulate the economy!!!

Esther V. said...

I LOVE my red crocs...also the black ones YOU gave me!!
Did you wear them while the TV crew was doing their work?? hope so!

Anonymous said...

The shoes and socks look like a snappy way to drive away the winter blahs. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Love love love the red socks and crocs!!

Great post altogether.

-kate