Wednesday, October 1, 2008

HOME SWEET HOME

Got home yesterday around noon, cruising under yet another cloudless sky and on calm waters, from Sidney. Here are some trip highlights since I last posted...

Refuge Cove on Galiano Island:

We didn't spend the night there, but crossed Trincomali Channel instead, and went into Princess Inlet on Wallace Island, an old favorite spot:


... where it rained for two days straight, and this was our view...

And right beside us was this 'peek-a-boo' view out to the channel ...

When we finally ventured out in the dinghy on day 3, here's the view we saw looking back in to the cove...

We like to anchor in Princess but explore Conover Cove by dinghy ...



From Wallace we went up around the northern tip of Salt Spring Island and down the west side of it, en route to a few more old favorite spots. This is what the channel looks like on the approach to Maple Bay (where we lived in a float home for two years before we bought the Wind Walker):

And then the channel 'opens out' to this...

There's a reason my nickname (and Ravelry name) is Skipper...


Note the lack of an overhead canopy in that picture ... after the rain stopped on Wallace, Michael took everything off so we could 'go convertible,' as he calls it!

First stop ... lunch at the 'Brig' in Maple Bay:

Then we carried on past this old cannery at Octopus Point (one of the few left of dozens that existed on this coast many years ago)...

... and into Sansum Narrows to historic Musgrave Landing ...

... and then a quick visit to historic Cowichan Bay...

... before settling in to Genoa Bay (where we bought our boat, ten years ago) ...


... where we saw our first real 'fall colors' ...

... and then woke up to this the next morning...

... so we had to stay an extra day, of course. :-)

I'll tell you all about our final leg in my next post ... this one has already taken almost two hours to put together!

And, of course, much knitting happened, and I'll get pics up.

I can tell you this.... I love to go away, and I love to COME HOME. More later!

7 comments:

Nautical Knitter said...

Your photos are always so inspiring. By the way, I just tagged you over at the Nautical Knitter blog. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures! You've had a lovely trip, and welcome home!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home! We're even going to continue with good weather for a coupla days :)
Beautiful shawl you sent to Grace!

Grace said...

But you take your home with you, aren't you always HOME, just teasing, I am glad you are back and I love love love my heart shawl, yes I am familiar with the pattern, and I did notice the beautiful red hearts, and the beadwork is incredible,thank you again, I am glad you are home and I adore the pictures!!!

Anita said...

Welcome home! What beautiful photos!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

That last photo of the fog -- stunning.

-kate

Joyce Sandilands said...

Your pictures bring back memories and are truly amazing Skipper. Thanks for sharing. What an awe-inspiring way to start my day. Hugs ...