Wednesday, August 26, 2009

LOOKING THROUGH OLD PHOTOS

Yesterday Michael and I went to visit Susan in the hospital for the first time ... it was SO hard. To see her like that, with a tracheotomy in her throat, and to watch her breathe and listen to the sound of her heartbeat on the monitor ... and to experience her unresponsiveness to anything around her -- well, let's just say it was one of the hardest things we've ever done. We spent the rest of the day, off and on, in tears, and looking for an old photograph of her to replace the image of the Susan who is in that hospital bed.

Anyway, there IS good news, in spite of our experience -- she has been transferred out of ICU into a private room on a ward, and she apparently squeezed her daughter's hand the other day. We left her a couple of stuffed Gibbons monkeys hanging around, held her hand and told her we loved her.

I know I have several lovely photos of her, because she and Sri have been on several cruises with us ... and we've been friends for 15 years! But do you think I can find any right now??

I did find this lovely one, though ... of the Wind Walker at anchor at Hornby Island a few years ago.


We won't be going that far north on our holiday this year, but by this time next week, we *will* be in a cove not unlike that one! Meanwhile, I'm trying to finish the purple poncho I'm making myself, and I'm working on some socks (surprise)!

And yes, I managed to get a LOT of (writing) work done yesterday before we went to the hospital .... good thing, because I was pretty useless after!

2 comments:

Grace said...

i am still praying for you and your friend, and hope she continues to make progress, enjoy your little get away, ours is late september

Unknown said...

i am still praying for you and your
friend,and hope she continues to
make progress,enjoy your little get
away,ours is late september.
LOL joking
Its me River not Grace who ever she is.
And also she gets up as early as you.
Love River to Grandma