Monday, April 9, 2012

GOOD THING I GOT A REAL JOB

For the last three months, the owners of this property (who've lived full-time on Vancouver Island and just visited here occasionally) have been preparing to move over to the Middle East for a few years -- he's an engineer and has been traveling to and from work there for years.

But he got a bit of a health scare just after Christmas and it made him realize he didn't really want to go. So ... they've moved back into their house here on the property, indefinitely, and we are, once again, out of a job. (The weird thing is that it's almost a year ago to the day that we lost our job in Victoria, through no fault of our own!) We're welcome to stay, of course, and just start paying regular-rate moorage -- which we haven't had to do for eight years. :(

We're still absorbing and processing this new information ... it would have been SO nice to have the security for the 3 or 4 years they intended to be away. But I guess 'the only constant is change,' as they say ... so we are working on accepting things the way they ARE, not the way we'd LIKE them to be. I said, 'working on' but I'm not very good at it... IT SUCKS, to put it bluntly.

We're pretty sure we will stay -- it's not like there's a lot of other options, and we do love it here. And we'll be okay. But it's a good thing I got the Welcome Wagon gig ...

And then this Easter weekend was only the second time in over 20 years (since our kids started leaving home) that we haven't had a big family get-together/dinner. Mischa had four days off so she really wanted to take the kids camping for the first time this year, so then Hailey mentioned that she had the opportunity to work right through the weekend and not come home ... so that was that. So my weekend wasn't much fun.

... and thank God for knitting! I've got lots of it on the go -- I finished the Alcea Shawl:
The color is 'truer' in the top photo -- it's actually a gorgeous deep plum color. And, as always, I love it -- Susanna IC is an amazing designer!

Then there's the Lighthouse Shawl I started - I wanted to start with a darker color than the one shown in the pattern, so I added beads in a swirl to signify the light:
Once again, the color is off -- it's really a very rich navy blue. It's my first-ever Pi shawl, so it's a huge project that I may be working on right through the summer.

Then there's the purple sweater I took apart and re-started as a 'top-down':
That color IS almost exact -- and I'll be doing a cables-n-lace border on the cuffs and around the bottom.

Knitting today at the Rock Salt! One day at a time.... one day at a time....
*

8 comments:

Julie said...

I'm so sorry to hear the marina management has changed again! {{{{ehugs}}}} and thinking of you!
Julie

Louisa said...

Sorry you're at loose ends again so soon! I'm sure you will find your equilibrium quickly. I'd cross my fingers for you but it's hard to knit that way! So I'll do it mentally...

Unknown said...

Oh dear, I suppose there are more changes in a floating life than in a grounded one! Hoping the tide carries you to safe moorings.

Love the beads and the swirl in the centre of the shawl - what a brilliant way to show the light!

Anonymous said...

Oh Marilyn... I am so sorry to hear your news! Just when I was hoping you would be settled for some time yet. I have every confidence you both will be okay tho because since I've known you, I've had the feeling you are like a cat... always lands on it's feet! I'm sorry you're disappointed but I'm thinking something good will come your way again soon.

I am totally in love with your shawls; you did such a great job on them, and the sweater looks like it's coming together fine. I've knit sweaters before but never a top-down sweater so I don't know how difficult it is. I hope you're keeping that one for yourself.

Warm thought from down East...

Anonymous said...

Sorry... that should have been "warm thought(s) from down East"

breezy54 said...

Oh my ! sry to hear that things are not turning out. I am sure the right thing will come along. change can be tough but often better things come from it.
Wishing you both the best.
b.

Beverley J said...

So sorry things didnt turn out as you and Michael had planned. So time for a new plan eh? Esther and I will be there tomorrow to give you hugs and good thoughts!!

N. Maria said...

I am sorry to hear about your news. Shame on having to pay now. :(
The shawl is beautiful! Adding the beads to the Lighthouse knitting is smart! The top-down sweater is looking really good!