Monday, April 16, 2012

A NEW WEEK :)

But first, let's review the old one...

The ferry is such a huge part of Island life -- and because we live 500 yards away from the main ferry to Victoria/Vancouver Island, it's a huge part of our lives for more than one reason. Every two hours, it comes in to its berth in front of us, stays long enough to unload and reload (about 15 minutes, usually) and leaves again. At the end of the day, the one that arrives in at 9:35 pm stays all night until its 6:15 am departure.

So last week was a 'first' for us: the Skeena Queen, which is the regular ferry, had to go for a 5-day 'refit.' In its place was the Bowen Queen, a much smaller and differently shaped ferry. Islanders hate it because its vehicle capacity is so much smaller, and it's slower. I liked it simply because it was a change (and I didn't have to wait in line for it, I could just watch it)! Here's the Skeena Queen ...
And here's the Bowen Queen as it was leaving last week when 'our' ferry came back!

We had a great group at the Rock Salt for knitting on Thursday:
... and the marina got its first 'transient' boat of the season in the other day ... a commercial diving boat here to do some underwater survey work (looking for geoducs and abalones) for the local First Nations. (The link is to a fun column I wrote over 10 years ago about geoducs).
We're still officially managing until the end of the month, so we got to meet and chat with these folks, from Comox -- one of my favorite parts of the job!

Today I have one Welcome Wagon visit this morning, and then knitting in Ganges this afternoon. In the interim, it's a dreary rainy day so I think I might start a stew simmering before I go.

The purple sweater top-down remake is coming along, but I'm not sure if it's coming along fast enough -- I'm hoping to wear it when I attend my first Welcome Wagon conference this coming Saturday in Nanaimo, but I still have 4" of stockinette and then the 3" lace-and-cable border to do around the bottom. Think I can do it? :)
*

2 comments:

Julie said...

Of course you can do it! That little bit of knitting is easy for you!

Will I get to see you Friday night or Saturday?

Jul

Unknown said...

Totally doable.

And I *love* those cuffs!!