Monday, March 3, 2008

SING YOUR HEART OUT

In a complete departure from my regularly scheduled knitting and hanging out at a marina I know and love (read: my boring life), last night we went to a concert called 'Sing Your Heart Out', at the Victoria Conservatory of Music.

This event was produced by a friend of our son Jason's, and her idea was delightful: starting back in November, she invited children to write and submit poetry, and then she invited local (adult) musicians to put the poems to music -- with complete free rein on the creativity. Last night's performance was the result, and I haven't had that much fun for a long time! Most of the poets were in attendance; they ranged from 6 - 17 years old, and most of them had not previously met the musicians who set their poems to music.

Of course, my enjoyment was enhanced by the fact that my son was one of the invited performers...


That's him there, on the left, hat on and clutching a guitar, along with his friend Kelly. Sorry, couldn't get any closer, and it was very dark!

(An aside: I gotta tell ya ... I knew Jason was a decent singer, but it had been awhile since I'd really heard him -- he's become a terrific musician/performer since I last paid attention)!

We took River along, and even though he threatened to be bored stiff (what 9-year-old wouldn't be at the thought of going to a concert hall and having to sit still for two hours?) he ended up dancing in the aisles with a few friends he ran into there, and really enjoyed himslf.

All in all, it was a delightful evening -- there was every genre of music from country (complete with an accordian!) to punk rock to folksy. We ordered the CD, and I sure hope they make it an annual event!

No comments: