Wednesday, November 26, 2008

CHRISTMAS BAKING DAY

My mother, for at least a hundred years, did ALL the Christmas baking for everyone. She would start in September, and the freezer would be full before Christmas-time. Did you need squares to take to the office Christmas party? Look in the freezer... Kids need goodies for a swap at school? Take something out of the freezer...

She made sure she had plenty of everyone's favorite things, too, and she used recipes that had been in a drawer since she was in high school, I think.

Well, Mom passed away seven years ago, and for a few years, while we were in the same town, my sister and I attempted to carry on the tradition.

When we moved back to Victoria almost 5 years ago, my daughter Mischa and I took on the Christmas baking. My mother had some pretty big shoes to fill, so we don't even come close, but we have a fun day, and end up with *something* to show for it. On the agenda are:


Shortbread

Gingerbread

Banana Loaf

... and possibly some squares, peanut butter cookies, and no-bake chocolate cookies.

Nothing too exotic or elaborate, but that means we stand a pretty good chance of succeeding! I'll take my knitting to work on while stuff's in the oven (maybe even get Mischa knitting again, she knows how). I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet your kitchen smells MARVELOUS!

Esther V. said...

PLEASE save some for me!!!
I made two batches of shortbread cookies using fresh HOMEMADE butter!! it's gone!!'sooooooo good'...
no apple pie for you know who???