Monday, July 25, 2011

A LOVELY WEEKEND

On Friday morning I caught the Vesuvius ferry and Julie picked me up in Crofton so we could drive in to Victoria together -- she had an appointment with a client and I got to go to Knit'n'Cafe! Here's Vesuvius Bay from the upper deck of the ferry....
Julie came back to Salt Spring Island with me, and we went to the Ganges market on Saturday. On our way back from the market, we 'met' this parade, being led by a bagpiper ...
This was the start of an event called 'SpiritWalk,' highlighting the three historical churches in the Burgoyne/Fulford Valley, with a welcoming ceremony by the First Nations and a presentation at the Fulford Hall by the Historical Society.

Julie left yesterday morning, Michael had to go to Victoria -- and I took myself on a little field trip! Foxglove Farm, up on the slopes of Mount Maxwell, had an open house yesterday. This property is one of the original homesteads here on the island, and all the pictures I'd seen of it are gorgeous.

Foxglove is one of the regular vendors at the Saturday market, and for some reason, I am drawn to it every week. I have bought all of my produce from them since arriving here, and two weeks ago, when the young woman passed me a postcard announcing the open house, out of my mouth came... "Oh, I just want to come and knit in that garden!" She never missed a beat when she responded with, "Would you PLEASE? And can you bring some extra yarn and needles in case any children want to join you?" I didn't need convincing!

I had a lovely time, even though no children wanted to learn to knit... :-)
You can see the Cuban live band that was playing, on the porch of this cabin in the background...Some of the old buildings....
... and the new ...
The brand new outdoor pizza oven....
(Imagine an outdoor wood-fired vegetarian pizza with organic ingredients fresh-picked an hour previously ...... yummmmmmmmmmmmy!)

Anyone want to join me there for an October knitting retreat?? Or better still .... can you picture a new Salt Spring Island fibre festival here?

1 comment:

Dina said...

Yes to an October retreat and yes to a Salt Spring Island fiber festival.

Hope you are well...I miss you and your part of the world very much but I'm very happy to be back in my beloved Connecticut.