Monday, November 23, 2009

THREADS OF COMPASSION

About two years ago, I started a local 'chapter' of Threads of Compassion,a Chicago-based group that knits scarves and shawls for clients of the local Sexual Assault Centres. When I say I started a chapter, what I mean by that is that I put the info and link on the CommunityKnitters.com page, became the local contact, and encouraged local knitters to support the effort. It works out that about every other month or so I take 6 or 7 scarves or shawls in to the Victoria Womens Sexual Assault Centre ... and it doesn't even begin to fill the need. Some time ago, I suggested to them that I would be happy to host a knitting circle right there so that survivors could knit scarves or shawls for others, in a safe and secure setting with like-minded spirits.

Well, it's finally happening! Starting today, I'll be hosting a group there as a volunteer, and we'll meet Monday afternoons from now on -- I'm really excited about this development, and looking forward to seeing it grow. "Knitting is good for the troubled spirit. And it doesn't hurt the untroubled one, either." (Elizabeth Zimmerman)

If you are a local survivor and you'd like to know more about this effort, or join us, please feel free to contact me privately for more info ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Best wishes with this group, Elizabeth Z. was right!

You're giving them power back by allowing them to help others, too.

The Sully's said...

Wow, what a great way to grow the idea of "Threads of Compassion". The knitting group is able to provide a place of peace and community to the women as they make scarves for those who need to be comforted. This way the scarves are a gift twice!
Sarah Sullivan
Threads of Compassion
Chicago, IL

Anonymous said...

I want to become part of this..help me send the things you ask .this is not just something that has happened to a person once. It is a life time of trying to get over it..I know. So here's my email carlsonterri@outlook.com