Monday, November 24, 2008

NEEDLE FELTING

At work today, I finished grafting the toes on the Noro socks, and hung them up for display, and I blocked the red scarf out on the work table, as well. And forgot to take pictures of both of them, so I'll do that tomorrow!

I don't like Noro for socks, I've decided. It was the first time I'd knit with it, so maybe it just takes getting used to, but I don't think I'll use it again. First of all, the silk felt like it was over-spun or something .... it kept twisting up on itself as I'd pull it out of the centre-pull ball to knit with it. And I couldn't get the colors to match no matter how I tried, so the socks are mis-matched. And I don't like the feel of them, on ... not at all like a wool/nylon blend, that's for sure.

On the other hand, the scarf was knit from a super-wash merino, and it was completely dreamy!

This afternoon a young man was in the store demo-ing needle-felting. He was really creative, starting with little 3" by 3" 'patches' of felt, and then needle-felting colors and designs onto the patch for anyone who wanted one. I had to choose the colors I wanted, but I told him to surprise me with the design.

I always choose the primary or jewel-tone colors, since I'm not a fan of pastels, and here's what he came up with...

That was the front, but I kind of preferred the back side, personally...


I pinned it on my lapel, and wore it for the rest of the day, I liked it so much!

And Nathan?

He's 9 years old. :-)

1 comment:

Grace said...

that is so interesting!

Just a heads up your birthday gift will be a little late I can't locate a box and will go searching tomorrow!!