Sunday, November 9, 2008

A VERY SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY TODAY

30 years ago this morning, I woke up with a very heavy heart. I was leaving my marriage, with two small children, and pregnant with #3 (which was the very thing that prompted my decision not to live the way I was living anymore).

Michael was an alcoholic - and a violent, unpredictable one, at that. But 30 years ago today he called Alcoholics Anonymous, and went to his first meeting. He's never looked back, and today we are celebrating the fact that my husband hasn't had a drink for 30 years.

It wasn't always easy -- in fact, in his first five years of sobriety, he got worse in some ways (because he no longer had the buffer of alcohol between himself and LIFE); we had four separations while we both got counselling, and he went for all kinds of extra help -- anger management, for example.

Well, I can tell you that the man I'm married to today is a big, gentle, loving teddy bear, and bears no resemblance to that guy I was leaving that day. Michael's worked hard to become the person he is now, and it's because of his sobriety (and mine, but that's a story for another day), that we're living our dream today.

There are those who don't believe that one should share this kind of personal stuff on what is, essentially, a live-aboard (and knitting!) blog -- but it's such a huge part of our lives, I can't *not* share it.

I'll have knitting content tomorrow, I swear.... :-)

8 comments:

Esther V. said...

I can vouch for Marilyn that Michael is an absolute sweetheart and treats her so well....AND he loves fresh baked apple pies!!!!
WAY TO GO MICHAEL!! so proud of you..wow...30 years...that's super.

Anita said...

Congratulations to both of you!

Georgi said...

How wonderful! congrats on surviving tough times!

Wool Enough said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you decided to share. It's always a delight to hear a story with a happy outcome.

Brenda said...

Congratulations to both of you, I'm sure you are both super strong people today because of what you went through. And thanks for sharing your story too, truly inspiring!

Natalie B said...

congrats! And I think that is a perfectly wonderful personal story to share... a story worth sharing :)

Enid said...

congrats and well done to both of you.

Monica said...

Please tell Michael congratulations on all his hard work and achievement from me. Your story is inspiring, Marilyn and should be shared. Much love.