Saturday, August 16, 2008

Yesterday was Knit'n'Cafe, and I worked on my Olympic 'Michael-sized' socks.

This included having to frog about 1.5" on one of them when I discovered two mistakes on one row 'waaaay back, of course! But I think I'll still get them finished before the closing ceremonies. :-)

And have I ever got socks planned now. I'll let you in on a little secret ... knowing that I would 'this year' learn how to knit socks, I've been adding sock yarn (and pattern books and patterns!) to my stash for almost 4 years -- I have a LOT of socks to knit, which is good, because I have a LOT of people to knit them for!

But I'm also knitting for myself now, since last year (before that my knitting was almost 100% for others) and so I've also cast on a sweater that I've been planning for awhile...

It's from a book called '25 Gorgeous Sweaters for the Brand New Knitter' by Catherine Ham. I've already knit the one on the right front cover, and one other from the book, and I want to knit almost every one of them! The yarn I'm using for this one is Schachenmayr 'Pompon', which is a tweedy boucle-type wool blend, and I love it.

Day before yesterday Michael decided to try to scrape some of the growth off the bottom of the boat before we go on holidays, and he got a little help from River:

We are electing not to 'haul out' this year, but growth on the bottom hurts fuel mileage, and we need all of that we can get, so .... laying on their bellies in the dinghy and armed with a long-armed scraper-thingy (that Michael created) they move along the sides of the boat and get as far under as they can -- mussels and seaweed are the two biggest problems, but they're both easily dispatched in an afternoon.

I'll tell you all about our upcoming holiday in my next post!

No comments: