Sunday, January 20, 2008

A CATCH-UP WEEK

I've been sick for three days ... AGAIN ... but I did manage to get down to the water the other day just in time to watch this gorgeous sunset over Race Rocks...


And I did make it to Knit'n'Cafe on Friday ...


A couple of other interesting things happened this week, too. First of all, I got a call from a woman asking me if I could fix her boyfriend's sweater for her. She wasn't a knitter, and it's a bit of a long story (which I won't share unless she says I can) but the sweater, a black acrylic fisherman's rib knit, was pretty messed up...



The photo shows just one of the tears, but there were several. Anyway, I did manage to fix it pretty well - there's a couple of spots where you can tell it's been mended, but it's definitely wearable, so that's good.

Also, earlier this week I sent a parcel to NUNAVUT (formerly the North West Territories) for babies at the hospital. I was browsing on Ravelry one night and there was a post from a woman there who said that the hospital has no little baby touques or blankets. The community, on the NorthWest shores of Hudson Bay, has a permanent population of around 2000, and many are very poor -- and it's EXTREMELY cold there. So I put the word out through my network at CommunityKnitters and within 10 days had collected 43 hats and about 10 blankets to send away. Wish I'd taken a pic of all of them, but here's one of the blankets...


AND I have another FO to report! A shawl for Threads of Compassion got finished day before yesterday...



This shawl is 100% leftover odds and ends, including some cotton blends, an eyelash yarn and some acryllic. The pics don't do it justice, actually, it's lovely. Here's a close-up of the stripes ...



Finally, I re-swatched for the Secret of the Stole II because my first choice wasn't 'lacey' enough. I like the bigger (and lighter-colored) one much better!

No comments: