Tuesday, January 29, 2008

WHISTLER

Got back last night from my weekend away to my daughter's in Whistler. The forecast was for snow, and it was threatening, but we (my other daughter Mischa, who came with me, and I) crossed our fingers that it wouldn't hit too hard on the highway on the way there. Never saw so much as a snowflake until we turned into the village off the highway at about noon. From then until 8 a.m. the following morning, though, it dumped almost 10", so the gods were smiling on our journey! Here's the road to my daughter's little cabin ...


And here she is on her doorstep...


And here's the 2" icicles hanging from her rafters...


... and here's a close-up of the scarf I knit her while we were there as a 'hostess gift'...


That scarf was the sum total of the weekend's knitting, too! We were busy the whole time we were there, of course, but my best knitting usually happens in the wee hours of the morning -- and in this case, in my daughter's one-room cabin, I didn't want to wake the girls so I knit by stove-light...


I think that's probably a first in my knitting career!

You'll be happy to know that I made it up to Hailey's event on the top of the mountain, via gondola, without hyperventilating -- thanks to Mischa, who kept me laughing the whole way. I *was* starting to get a little testy near the end (it's a 20 minute ride), but was okay. I thought that coming down in the dark much later would be *really* scary, but Hailey had the good sense to send me down with her friend Stella, who's a knitter! So of course, we talked knitting the whole way, and I hardly even noticed the ride (it helped that the windows of the gondola were fogged up, too, so I couldn't see that we were pitching down a mountainside)!

The event was beautifully decorated, had great food, and otherwise went really well. Here's my daughter and her colleagues ...


And here's my favorite image of the evening ...

This woman's hair, make-up, costume and demeanor were all amazing!

Our drive back down the mountain to the ferry was uneventful, except that we missed the 3:00 ferry by about TWO minutes. Got home -- to snow falling here in Vitoria! -- tired but happy at about 7:30 last night.

Clue #2 in the Secret of the Stole KAL arrived in my email during my absence, so I know what today's project will be!

2 comments:

Grace said...

what gorgeous photos, glad you had awonderful time!!

Barbara-Kay said...

Amazing - a mermaid on a mountaintop! Look out, Noah!

Thanks for showing us your weekend. I've always wondered what a mountain cabin would be like.