Wednesday, January 30, 2008

DEFEAT THE DOLDRUMS WEEKLY TOPIC

"There are many people who ADORE receiving hand-knit or crochet items; but there are just as many who have no appreciation whatever of how much love, work, and time goes into a hand-made item. Share a story of a hand-made gift you gave to someone and how it worked out - good, bad, or ugly!"

A little over a year ago I knit a wool hoodie for my now-9-year-old grandson River. I had a couple of skeins of Lopi in my stash but had to buy several more -- so it cost about $80 and took me a couple of months to make, but it turned out beautifully.


He loved it, too, but of course, it itched, so I suggested that he could wear it as a coat over top of a lighter hoodie or sweater - I'd meant it to be used in the cold. I also asked his mom to encourage him to do that so he would wear it.

Well, I think he's worn it maybe twice ....

On the 'good news' front, my daughters have both been recipients of scarves that they've loved, and my son requested a blanket similar to these so I made him one in his colors of choice, and he adores it!

1 comment:

Monica said...

I know what you mean. On the negative side, some years back I gave a local nonprofit group an art piece that I made for an auction. I found it the following year in a rummage sale for a dollar. That hurt.

On the other end of things, I've been making things for years and every now and then, I talk to an old friend who reminds me of something I made them 20 years ago. They still have it and treasure it. There is no better feeling.