Thursday, May 21, 2009

PENDRAY HOUSE

I can't believe I haven't told you about my visit to Pendray House yet!

This house is over 100 years old and has been 'loaned' by a land developer to the Collective to run an art studio there. It overlooks the Esquimalt Lagoon, and it's just lovely!

I went there at the invitation of my friend Wendy, who is half of the inspired duo who created this project, which was on display there last week:

Wanna see that a little closer? :)

The entire display is either knit or crocheted, and we're invited to contribute to it. (It'll be on display at the Victoria FibreFest, so you can see it and add to it then!)

But that's not the main reason I was at Pendray House. They are doing an exhibit called 'Memory, History and Family' (on until May 25th, if you're local) and Wendy organized an event called 'Womens Work' as part of that.

I assumed that cameras weren't okay inside the gallery, so I didn't take pictures of the 100+-year-old lace items, the 75 years of historical women's aprons, or the 'work' we were doing .... knitting socks, and picking and carding wool. I did, however, get a picture of the grand staircase...

... and of Wendy demonstrating my drop spindle over the bannister...

We had a lovely day, and I learned more about carding, too -- many thanks to Wendy for the invitation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I spent my childhood playing around there (we loved the pacific centre grounds - whether we were supposed to be there or not I don't remember). Nice to see the house being put to such a wonderful use!

-kate