Friday, May 22, 2009

SWIFTSURE!

The 66th annual international Swiftsure sailboat race gets underway tomorrow morning, so the boats have been arriving steadily for several days now.

It's a party atmosphere in the harbour already, and several of my past favorites are competing again -- Mad Max, Kinetic IV and, of course, the local tall ship HMCS Oriole, sail-training yacht and 'goodwill' boat of the Canadian Navy.

I'll be teaching a class so I won't be able to see the start, but here's a photo from last year that shows what it looks like at Clover Point at the start of the race -- almost 200 boats jockeying for position! As you can see, last year's race was more like a 'Driftsure' at the start, though, so hopefully this year they'll catch some wind right away!


Meanwhile, on the knitting front, I'm to being finished the purple sweater, after it being a UFO for over a year now! Knit'n'Cafe today, so I should get lots more done -- I'm on the sleeves, with about 6" to go. Yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, couldn't you take your class to the Point as a field trip? Knitting and watching the race...a good thing. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love Swiftsure.

That is a great picture of last year's start!

-kate